CHURCH MEMBERSHIP MATTERS
WHAT IS MEMBERSHIP?
There is no church without its members. The church is not a building, but a body.
Church membership is a declaration of citizenship in Christ’s kingdom. It’s a passport. It’s an announcement made in the pressroom of Christ’s kingdom. It’s the declaration that a professing individual is an official, licensed, card-carrying, bona fide Jesus representative.
More concretely, church membership is a formal relationship between a local church and a Christian characterized by the church’s affirmation and oversight of a Christian’s discipleship and the Christian’s submission to living out his or her discipleship in the care of the church.
When someone becomes a member of GracePoint, three elements are present:
- A church body formally affirms an individual's profession of faith and baptism as credible.
- The church promises to give oversight to that individual's discipleship
- The member formally submits his or her discipleship to the service and authority of this church body and its leaders.
(derived from the article "What is Membership?" by Jonathan Leeman
WHY IS MEMBERSHIP IMPORTANT?
Here are twelve reasons why membership is important. For a breakdown on these reasons go here.
- It's Biblical
- The church is its members
- It's a pre-requisite for the Lord's Supper
- It's how to officially represent Jesus
- It's how to declare one's highest allegiance
- It's how to embody and experience biblical images
- It's how to serve other Christians
- It's how to follow Christian leaders
- It helps Christian leaders lead
- It enables church discipline
- It gives structure to the Christian life
- It builds a witness and invites the nations
FIRST STEP CLASS
To learn more about how to become a member at GracePoint Church, you're invited to attend a First Step Class. It is called this because it is the first step of the membership process. At the class you will learn more about GracePoint's beliefs, strategies, and the membership process. The First Step Class is taught the first and third Sundays of every month after the Sunday worship service in the Guest Suite (up the ramp next to the coffee area).
RSVP FOR THE FIRST STEP CLASS